Saturday 27 October 2012

Making My Way Downtown.

Yesterday saw me going Downtown again (when you're alone and life is getting you down then you can always gooooo, Downtown!) but as a girl on a mission: to find Houston Public Library and attend the long-awaited Jonathan Safran Foer signing.

For those of you who don't know, Foer is the best-selling author of 'Everything is Illuminated' and 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' which I read at the start of the year. I found the Library to be very big and welcoming, and I went up to the top floor for the talk. First welcomed by the Major, then by Foer himself and his talk was fascinating. Given his own personal history which comes out in the books, he talked of his Jewish faith and an encounter with poet Yehuda Amichai for when he was my age, and how change affected him when going to College and it was great to relate to.

Next came a Q&A session (obviously I was too nervous to ask a question...) then the signing when I finally met him! We talked about England and how I also make a fool of myself in front of important people to which he replied, 'how about you don't think of me as an important person, but as a writer?' and we both smiled.

Cue me almost collapsing. The city was gorgeous as ever, and if you can spare an hour or so next time you're in Houston then do pop into the Public Library; it's so extensive  and a total heaven for any Bibliophile such as me.

My gap year is just me standing in front of/by stuff - today's highlight is by one of the Houston Publioc Library buildings which was very, very beautiful.
Houston Library
Inside the talk.
Jonathan Safran Foer!
Signed book!


Walking around the city.
Houston - we have no problems.
We rounded off the evening with a sunny drive home and Ferris Bueller's Day Off and soup made by Suzanne and I. Perfect. Meg comes home from the UK tomorrow and then it's Halloween - the decorations have tripled in the neighbourhood and are looking fabulous! Hope you're all staying out of the cold, I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment